You Are a Doughnut
- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
A biological-musical-comedy-adventure — through the human digestive system!
From the creators of “The Alphabet of Awesome Science” comes a brand-new multi-award-winning family show… You are a doughnut!
It’s true! YOU are a great big fleshy lump with a remarkable hole running all the way through your middle — your digestive system.
Join biology teachers Oesoph A. Gus and Dewey Dean as they embark upon an utterly brilliant all-singing, all-dancing (and all-clowning!) exploration of every twisting tube and remarkable organ — with sketches, songs, and sensational science. Along the way you’ll encounter a frenzy of enzyme-powered ping pong balls, sing along with a rainbow collection of poop puppets, and witness the weirdest poetry performance you’ve ever seen.
“You Are a Doughnut” is a ‘riot of fun’ (The Clothesline) and a ‘sure winner for the whole family’ (Glam Adelaide) — presented by the ‘masters of educational entertainment’ (Play & Go).
It’s a little bit gross — and a ‘hole’ lotta fun! (You might even learn something…).
Kristin Stefanoff, Glam Adelaide
Sarah Chumbley, Kids in Adelaide
Clayton Werner, The Clothesline
We can generally create a series of suitable lighting states from a basic rig plus a few specials – working to the capabilities of each theatre.
Ideally, we require:
- Open FOH
- Back multi-colour wash
- Side multi-colour wash (if available)
- 1 x Midstage C
- 2 x Downstage C
- 1 x Downstage P
- 1 x Downstage OP
- Movers (if available)
- Hazer (if available)
Venue to supply all lights / hazer
Venue to supply:
- Adequate PA system for the theatre / venue
- Wedge(s) for onstage foldback (required for musical numbers)
- 2 x radio headset microphones
We use QLab to play back music (including backing tracks for songs) and sound effects
- Laptop (mac)
- USB audio interface
Minimum stage dimensions required:
- 6m wide x 5m deep x 4m high
The set consists of:
- 1 x freestanding doughnut (2000mm wide x 2600mm tall)
- 1 x frame with curtain (3000mm wide x 3000mm tall)
- 1 x circular table (900mm in diameter)
- 1 x toilet on circular base (900mm in diameter)
- A series of cardboard boxes
It is preferable to use blacks at the rear of the stage (NOT a white cyclorama)
We supply 1 x stage manager
- Our stage manager will operate SFX during the performance
Venue to supply:
- 1 x tech for bump-in / bump-out
- 2 x tech during performances (sound operator / lighting operator)
- At minimum, one person who can operate both sound and lights
While on tour, transport of set / props can easily be accommodated by a large van, or a car and trailer.
Audience & Marketing Notes
• This show has been created for children aged 5 to 12 (and their adults)
• It is suitable for both general public as well as primary school audiences. The show is supported by online content, as well as extensive teacher notes
• It will appeal to anyone interested in science and, in particular, human biology…
• …as well as lovers of comedy and musical theatre
• Is an excellent follow up to That Science Gang’s other touring show, “The Alphabet of Awesome Science”
- You Are a Doughnut is an award-winning new Australian musical that will have audiences singing and dancing in their seats. Audiences will be singing “You Are a Doughnut” (amongst other songs) long after their visit to the theatre.
- You Are a Doughnut has been consistently praised for being as entertaining as it is educational. Reviews often remark that kids will have so much fun they won’t even realise they are learning. The show is perfect for parents who like a slice of solid science alongside their belly laughs.
- You Are a Doughnut is a fantastic follow up to “The Alphabet of Awesome Science” (created by the same team), which is touring to more than 80 theatres and festivals across Australia (2022/2023).
- Teacher notes and online activities can be found at: https://www.youareadoughnut.com/schools
- A collection of online activities are being developed for the general public and can be found at: https://www.youareadoughnut.com/explore
- A workshop (for schools and general public) is in development. Please contact the producer for more information.
Proscenium Arch, Black Box, Flat Floor, Hall
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $12,000 to 13,000
Per Performance: $0