- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
An unpredictable adventure about a toy rabbit who becomes real. An interactive, inventive and poetic interpretation of a timeless classic.
Born in a Taxi brings new relevance to the much loved children\’s book, The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams. A new work for young people 5-8 yrs and their adults. A highly interactive, multilayered work challenging theatrical norms whilst honouring the emotionally rich themes of the book.
The toys are in charge! Children bring their favourite toy to the show or borrow one from the toy box. A show run by toys, who are making a movie where the audience discovers their toys( and their child) are the Extras on a film shoot of Velveteen Rabbit. An unpredictable adventure unfolds about a toy rabbit who becomes real… but how did it happen? Was it being loved and loving that made it real? Or was it the pains of growth and change that transformed them?
In a world of clowns, the Rabbit\’s truth is felt through song, poetry, and narration, lighting a pathway through the crafted chaos.
Velveteen Rabbit infuses dynamic audience participation, skilled clowning, live feed video and projections to reflect the unique perspective of the child.
A ridiculous, playful and poetic exploration of this timeless story.
Gully Thompson Witness Performance Children of the Evolution
Kimberley Shaw Stage Whispers The Whale’s Tale
Audience Respense Michelle Kemp
- Standard Rep Plot Full stage wash
- Use of Rovers and Deck units
- Limited Focused Special (TBC)
- Projector x 1 ( rear) May require front projection as well TBC
- Cable and space for a Projector to setup Upstage for rear projection (space TBC)
- Live Camera Feed (Onstage operator ) Discuss
- List microphones, effects, mixing desk and inputs
- Company Travels with a QLab computer / show file
- Mixer with a minimum of 4 channels
- 2 two-channel amplifiers
- Speakers of sufficient quality to fill the Hall
- Backstage monitors
- 3+1 wireless headsets Microphones (1 Spare)
- On stage will have a live Musician
- Headset communications between stage manager’s position and running crew
- Lightweight scrim Company brings in (8m width x 5m height)
- Dollhouse on a trolley stage right
- Community of toys/bookshelf pile stage left
For load-in and load-out.
- Crew numbers (TBC)
For rehearsal and performance
- 1 Electrician (Board Opt)
- 1 Sound / AV Tech (Board Opt)
Audience & Marketing Notes
– Young people 5-8 yrs and their adults, (parents, grandparents, carers etc).
– Families who want an accessible way to introduce their children to live theatre
– Lovers of classic literature and contemporary performance
– Big kids at heart who loved The Velveteen Rabbit growing up and want to share it with their children, nephews, nieces etc…
– Early primary students who have had years of interruptions to their schooling and social calendars due to COVID-19 and their teachers
- Schools: As a classic well loved book with a unique twist with themes relevant to todays children. We encourage schools to read the book prior to the show. The show will have an accompanying teacher resource kit that explores the themes of the book (love, loss, identity, isolation, becoming) along with some themes we have introduced (being yourself in a group).
- Local Library’s: Connecting to local libraries by featuring The Velveteen Rabbit at story time in the lead up and accompanying activities ie drawing, display books that reference toys such as Winnie the Pooh, Corduroy, Pinocchio etc…
- Interactive show where audience bring their favourite toy: Audience are part of the show and strongly encouraged to bring their own favourite toy to watch the show with. The show is run by toys who are making a movie and the audience and their toys are the ‘extras’. Children and their toys are enlisted throughout the show to play different roles in the metanarrative of the toys making a film, encouraging them to take ownership of the experience.
- Taxi could offer skills sharing workshops for emerging artists or children in physical theatre and improvisation.
Proscenium Arch, Black Box/Studio space
45 mins TBC Minutes
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.