- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
A drama examining the power relationships of the audition process and what it means to seek asylum.
“Irine Vela seamlessly directs The Audition to create electrifying theatre… the work shimmers, mirage-like, between asylum seekers claiming protection and actors preparing to audition, with cognate politics and piercing resonance.\” – Cameron Woodhead, The Age.
Asylum seekers share something in common with Australian actors — they are both outsiders with an uncertain status. Just like actors, they become expert at waiting whilst remaining forever hopeful. But what if you are both an asylum seeker and an actor? How long must one wait?
The Audition is a theatre work performed with live music. It is inspired by two commanding young Iranian artists, Milad Norouzi & Sahra Davoudi, who were asylum seekers while developing & creating the work. They imbue the show with a tension & truth that is palpable, poetic and at times absurd. Joining them in the creative team are some of Australia’s finest writers and actors.
The Audition is sharply funny, poetic, insightful and moving.
Cameron Woodhead, The Age
Lyn Zelen, Theatre People
Alison Croggon, The Saturday Paper
- 13 LED pars
- 22 x 650W Fresnels
- 10 x 1.2 k Fresnels
- 1 x Acclaim Profile 18/34.
- In small venues amplification may not be required.
- In larger venues, venue to provide:
- 4 x wireless wearable mics for actors
- 1 x instrument mic and mic stand and/or transducer for Kanun
- All sets & properties provided.
- Suspended swing (*not weight bearing, so no rigging required)
- 1 x chair
- 1 x stool
- Clothing rack – performers use to change characters
- Props – stick (tree branch), basketball and script
- Kanun, hand drum and a guitar
- Stage covered with red flooring, with sand mounds positioned around to convey a detention centre in a desert.
- Lighting operator required for performances.
- 1 tonne van and a 6 seated people mover van.
- Cast and crew can travel by plane, if required.
- Company has access to a 6 seated people mover van.
Audience & Marketing Notes
The work has had critical acclaim and stunning reviews.
Broader refugee and migrant communities will relate to the work.
Live music and song performed on Kanun – a “ harp” of the middle east by an exquisite player.
The issue of asylum seekers is ongoing, & is deeply important to many in our communities & audiences
School audiences – The Audition to be published by Currency Press.
Outer Urban Projects are developing resource kit for VCE theatre studies,other year levels.
- Renowned playwrights and excellent cast
- Themes are relevant / contemporary / provocative – ideal for theatre audiences, performing artists and school performances
- Two performer/writers are former refugees – ideal for connection to local diverse community groups
- Outer Urban Projects has a strong track record of engagement with hard-to-reach audiences. The company can resource and develop tailored options for outreach and workshops with presenters to garner group bookings.
- A Q&A is offered with each tour location.
- Community partnerships can include local government, youth, community and health services, neighborhood houses and schools to discuss themes of racism, cultural diversity, identity and the resettlement of refugees.
Proscenium Arch, Black box, Thrust, Residency, Flat floor, Hall
65 mins Minutes
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $21,210
Per Performance: $10,605