Planet Bird Colourful Jelly Sparkle
- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
An intergalactic roaming act featuring giant puppets from outer space.
Look out! The aliens from Planet Bird Colourful Jelly Sparkle have landed.
One Eye and Frill Neck are quite disoriented after traveling at three times the speed of light across seven galaxies.
Robot Monkey arrives on Earth after four billion aeons pursuing his pernicious quarry, The Blue Caterpillar, through space and time. POW. POW. You\’d better duck. He’s shooting his elastic spaghetti rays. Oh, has he hit the Caterpillar? No. Phew. The Caterpillar is safe. But not for long.
One Eye and Frill Neck were created in 2020 for Moomba Parade based on concept sketches by a six-year-old artist. Robot Monkey and Blue Caterpillar were created by Fusion Theatre and Sanctum Studio in 2019 The Beginning of Everything, an outdoor theatre production funded by the City of Greater Dandenong. Fusion Theatre is an inclusive theatre ensemble based in Dandenong.
Planet Bird Colourful Jelly Sparkle is an inclusive roaming puppet act performed by puppeteers from Sanctum Studio and Fusion Theatre.
Ian Pidd, freelance director of theatre and festivals
Planet Bird Colourful Jelly Sparkles is a roaming act with giant puppets. It is suited to outdoor festivals and events, but can also work in large indoor spaces. The giant puppets are also ideal in parades. They can cover a lot of ground nimbly. They are a highlight with audience members as they can interact up-close, as well as be seen from great distances over the heads of the crowd. Puppet minders are used to ensure the giant puppets have a safe route through the crowds, and that audience members interact safely with the puppets, and are thus a crucial element of each performance.
Transportation of the puppets:
- The two larger puppets require a 3-tonne truck to be hired.
- The two smaller puppets can be transported in our 1-tonne van.
- For longer tours we can arrange road freight for the puppets.
- Up to three performers/stage mangers/minders can travel in the truck/van with the puppets.
- The remainder of the performers/stage mangers/minders can travel in a car.
Audience & Marketing Notes
This work is perfect for audiences at all kinds of outdoor events, including children, youth, families, book and music lovers, and council, corporate and community event attendees. People of all ages love these playful characters as they inspire wonder, mischievousness, and draw out the inner child. The puppets create a joyous atmosphere. They bring people together as audiences marvel at the large and imposing creations, and interact with the giant puppets, bemused by an element of surprise.
- Sanctum Studio is an award-winning giant puppet company that has presented shows at White Night and Melbourne International Festival of Puppetry, as well as touring puppets shows and roving acts around Australia since 2006.
- Sanctum Studio's work has been described as '...full of striking images...' (The Age), '...confronting and yet comforting...' (Inpress) and 'forg[ing] a dark and surreal dystopia, packed with visual surprises,' (The Age).
- Sanctum Studio's Planet Bird Colourful Jelly Sparkle characters are mischievous and energetic, visually stunning and spectacular, colourful and joyous, and large and imposing.
- Giant Puppet Workshop (7 - 10 days): Design and create giant puppets. Perform with them in a parade, as a roaming act or tell a story in an outdoor arena. Age: 15yrs +
- Puppet and Animation Classes (8 – 10 x 1.5hr sessions): A jam-packed curriculum including hand and rod puppets, shadow puppets and Claymation. Ideal for schools. Age: 6 – 13yrs.
- Artist Talk (1 – 2hrs): An introduction to puppets of all sizes. Includes slideshow and live demonstrations. Age: children and adults
20 - 30min roams. (Minimum call time: 4 hrs. Maximum 7 hrs p/day. Call time includes 1 hr setup and minimum 40min break between each roam.) Minutes
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $$4,272 - $11,822 + GST (depending on the number of puppeteers and minders required, i.e.: 2 - 6)
Per Performance: $$1,125 - $2,796 + GST (depending on the number of puppeteers and minders required, i.e.: 2 - 6)