- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
It’s the one-woman cabaret that was meant to save the world from climate change. It didn’t, but it just might save us from ourselves.
After captivating audiences and critics alike, Ally Morgan’s one-woman cabaret is back to save the world, one more time.
26-year-old Ally Morgan is determined to save the world from climate change. How does she plan to do it? Through the power of THEATRE! The only problem is that she’s so anxious about climate change that she can’t actually write the life-changing show that will save the world through the power of theatre… See the problem?
So, when Ally finally books in to see a psychologist and a guided meditation miraculously transports her to a real-life theatre in front of YOU, she’s got no choice but to devise a one-woman show on the spot – right here, right now!
‘Not Today’ is a frank and funny trip inside the mind of an anxious millennial on a mission. On stage with an army of instruments and an entirely original score including 12 unforgettable songs, Ally may not quite save the world, but she’ll sure put on one heck of a show.
Sydney Morning Herald
Weekend Notes Melbourne
Non-standard lighting will be supplied by the company.
Company to supply: 1 x touring lighting plan
Presenter to supply: lighting as per plan
A detailed breakdown of the colours will be available with the lighting plan. The lighting must be pre-rigged, patched, coloured and flashed out prior to company arrival.
Venue to provide:
• 1x Stereo DI
• 2x Mono DI
• 1x SM57 (or other suitable mic for amp)
• 6x Qlab inputs (USB into audio console OR audio interface provided by company if
no USB available)
• 1x Wireless system + headset (Parramatta)
• All suitable cabling to accompany
Touring Company to provide:
• 1x Wireless system + headset (Seymour centre)
• Qlab computer
• Mic effects pedal (patched into headset mic)
Venue to provide:
• FOH L/R
• Centre speaker (optional – if installed)
• Subwoofer (on separate AUX send)
• Stereo PS/OP fold back (on separate AUX sends)
Width: 8 metres, Depth: 5 metres, Height from Grid to Stage: 5 metres
Non-raked timber floor surface with no uneven areas painted matte or low sheen black.
Set: A mesh fabric backdrop is suspended from uneven bars hung from wires, and is positioned under rostra to fill the front of the stage area. On the rostra are various pieces of household furniture and Ally\’s instruments.
• Lighting – 2 personnel for 4 hours (assuming pre-rigged)
• Sound – 1 personnel for 3 hours
• Staging – 1 personnel for 4 hours
Peformance – 1 venue tech/operator for 2 hrs (Stage Manager can also fulfill this role)
• Lighting – 1 personnel for 2 hours
• Staging – 1 personnel for 2 hours
The production can travel in a 1-tonne van and passenger vehicle.
Audience & Marketing Notes
1) Cabaret and Musical Theatre fans: Not Today attracts a broad range of musical theatre and cabaret consumers. The work attracts music fans who wouldn’t normally seek out narrative performance, and musical theatre fans looking for a new experience.
2) Music/Comedy audiences: established fans of music comedy (eg Tim Minchin, Jude Pearl) keen to discover a fresh voice.
- Quality Production - WINNER - BEST MUSICAL THEATRE & CABARET and Nominated Best in Music at the 2022 Sydney Fringe Awards Outstanding reviews from a wide range of outlets and influencers alongside a solid production history. The work was recently nominated for Best Writing, Cabaret by the Green Room Awards.
- Topical Relevance - Through its use of dark comedy and music, it takes an honest look at millennials’ mental health, with a particular focus on climate change and the increasing phenomenon of climate anxiety/grief. Ally\'s music and story generates a sense of collective hope and humanity while being hilarious and touching.
- Great Music, Hilarious Delivery - A smart blend of storytelling, folk, rock and comedy. Not Today pushes the limits of how a cabaret can sound. Through an exciting combination of live instrumentation (Ally plays keyboard, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and ukulele) and professionally orchestrated and recorded backing tracks, the show sits within the realm of folktronica - a fresh and unique sound in the cabaret genre. Audiences will be humming Ally\'s songs for weeks.
- Workshop - songwriting for comedy. Ally has excellent experience with young people. There’s an opportunity to engage young musicians in your community with music and songwriting workshops.
- Meet & Greet or Q&A\'s with creative team/performer.
- The themes in the work invite interaction with organisations or artists who are aligned with climate change advocacy and mental health awareness.
Pros Arch, Thrust Stage, Black Box, Studio, Town Hall, Lounge
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $9,525
Per Performance: $5000 - 7000