- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
An exploration of the immigrant experience in Australia told through a Samoan adaptation of Antigone
So sayeth the king
So it must be done
Beloved brother buried
Disowned forgotten son
Two brothers who couldn’t be more different, kill each other in a moment that can never be undone, setting off a butterfly effect that explodes through a Samoan family in Australia. Lele is a story of family, honour and standing up when no one else will. It is an unapologetic exploration of the immigrant experience in Australia, and how our aiga survive and thrive in between worlds.
Lele is part Samoan siva, part drill rap concert, part love letter to the motherland and all parts a fierce reckoning of tradition, identity and our reality as immigrants in Australia.
A Western Edge production, developed by artists Chanella Macri, Michael Logo and Rexson Pelman Lele is a wildly unique Pasifika work brought to life by an ensemble of six Samoan performers. It is a furious call to arms that will break your heart and enliven your soul.
Samoae, usi le maimoa ma le tou silasila.
- 8 X LED Pars
- 2 X Chauvet zoom Spot-Intimidator or equivalent moving lights (must have zoom capacity)
- 8 X Fresnels (1.2k)
- 6 X Source Four LED Lustr and 4 X conventional profile fixtures OR
- 16 X conventional profile fixtures
- 1 X Unique Haze or equivalent
- 1 X fog/smoke
- Show Computer or transfer of QLab File to Venue
- QLab Enabled Computer
- 6X Radio Mics
- Access to a Live Mix Operator for Radio Mics
- The set comprises of four main parts:
- The Shed
- The Garage
- The Garage Interior
- The Fence
- Smoke machine is required.
- All can be assembled easily:
- A small tin shed sits to the far left, with the door that opens inwards.
- A garage stage center, with a roller door installed in the centre.
- A short fluro batten is mounted above the door.
- A longer matching fluro light is mounted above the garage door.
- A tall fence, with a matching gate.
- A shorter gate, mounted to hidden boom pole.
- The set cannot travel by plane.
- The set folds up and can fit into a van or small truck.
- We will require transportation for our touring party of 11.
Audience & Marketing Notes
The target audience segments for this show include:
Young People 16-26
Lovers of Rap/Trap Music
Lovers of high octane drama
- A blistering adaptation of an Ancient Greek play into a contemporary Samoan story
- Diverse storytelling from the emerging cultural leaders of Australia
- Speaks to the heart of the migrant experience in Australia
- Exceptional cast - Chanella Macri is one of the country\'s rising actors (last seen as Josephine Alibrandi in Looking for Alibranda at Malthouse/ Belvoir)
- New Australian work that shines the spotlight on underrepresented voices and stories
- Workshops with school students
- Workshops with Pasifika and diaspora community members
- Workshops with teachers on cross-cultural awareness and safety
Proscenium arch, black box, flat floor, hall
80 minutes Minutes
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $$12,000
Per Performance: $$6,000