Iphigenia In Splott
- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
Class, privilege, and pride collide in Gary Owen’s explosive reimagining of the classic Greek myth.
“What is gonna happen, when we can’t take it anymore?”
Stumbling down Clifton Street at 11:30am drunk, Effie is the kind of girl you’d avoid eye contact with, silently passing judgement. We think we know her, but we don’t know the half of it. Effie’s life spirals through a mess of drink, drugs and drama every night, and a hangover worse than death the next day – till one night gives her the chance to be something more.
Effie will break your heart. Effie is going to save us all. Inspired by the enduring Greek myth, Iphigenia in Splott drives home the high price people pay for society’s shortcomings – the story of a young woman who has no use for hopes or dreams… unless they belong to us.
This powerful adaptation of the enduring Greek myth drives home the high price people pay for society’s shortcomings.
Critical Stages will design a generic lighting rig specifically for touring, incorporating generic fixtures. All fixtures must be pre-rigged, flashed and coloured prior to company arrival. Critical Stages may tour with LED or moving lights. DMX will need to be provided and ready for the arrival of company equipment. Current plan has not been finalised.
Original lighting plans here.
Company to supply:
- 1 x Macbook pro or equivalent running QLab
- 1 x audio interface (Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 or similar)
- 1 x headset mic for cast.
Presenter to supply:
- Standard Venue PA
Minimum stage dimensions*
- Min. stage width: 6m
Min. stage depth: 4m
The set is a waiting room, with walls on sides, back and ceiling, that is raised 0.5m above the stage floor. The room has minimal furniture: a small table and two chairs.
Original stage plans are here.
Please see the Marketing/Production Guide linked to on this page for current crewing requirements.
The production can travel with all equipment in a 5-tonne truck. The production does not travel by air.
Audience & Marketing Notes
Key Audiences: Subscribers and theatre lovers – activate your core drama audience with an internationally renowned story & multi-award-winning local production.
UK story fans – in particular those with a Welsh or Celt heritage
Young Adults – told through the lens of a younger person the story resonates well with audiences 14-24.
This is outstanding drama for adult audiences looking for compelling storytelling. Gritty, surprising, and ultimately inspiring. Leaves audiences breathless.
- Smash Hit History and Outstanding theatrical experience: 2022 Green Room Award Winner: Most Outstanding Production, Most Outstanding Direction - Gary Abrahams, and Most Outstanding Performance - Jessica Clarke. 2022 Green Room Nominations: Most Outstanding Costume Design - Jacob Battista & Sophie Woodward, and Most Outstanding Set Design - Jacob Battista & Sophie Woodward.
- A great intergenerational conversation starter about class, social justice, and our collective humanity.
- The original production was the first ever Welsh producing house to transfer to The National Theatre where it enjoyed a month-long sold out season. The season at Red Stitch was no different - a total sell out that audiences were enthralled by.
Proscenium Arch Theatre, Studio, Civic/Cultural Centre
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $15,00
Per Performance: $0