Geraldine Quinn – BROAD
- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
A hilarious, dazzling, award-nominated comedy-cabaret about resilience, longevity and celebrating your inner queen.
‘BROAD’ is a spandex-busting hour of acclaimed songwriting, show-stopping vocals, belly laughs and defiance, wrapped up in royal-blue sequins and gold stack heels. Crowds were left buoyed and dazzled by this latest original cabaret from musical comedian Geraldine Quinn (Spicks & Specks). \’BROAD\’ explores what it\’s like to grow up admiring older, iconic women like Rhonda Burchmore and Vivienne Westwood, and suddenly finding you\’re slowly becoming one…
After two years as MC of Circus Oz’s hit ‘NEON’, Quinn made a triumphant return to cabaret, in a career which has earned her 4-5 star reviews in Australia, NZ and UK. From an artist with more than 35 award nominations and wins, ‘BROAD’ was a spectacular come-back. Quinn ended her 2022 Melbourne Comedy Festival run with sold out crowds, extra shows, and nominations for both Most Outstanding Show and Best Local Independent Production – making it the most award-nominated show of the entire festival.
Not too shabby – for an old broad.
Time Out Melbourne
LEDs will be sufficient. If there is a spot in the venue, it would be used, but there are not specific lighting requirements, the show is adaptable with basic LED capabilities.
- Microphones x 2 (preferably hand held wireless) – onstage
- Microphone x 1 – offstage for pre-show voiceover
- Mic stands x 1 (2 angle, 1 straight)
- 1 x keyboard (weighted 88 key) or piano (miced). DI x 1 for keyboard and power onstage if required to provide our own
- Audio playback
- Foldback monitor x 2 (one for each performer)
- Basic mixing desks sufficient for previous seasons, some reverb desirable on vocals during songs.
No construction or set – onstage all that is required is a small table or still for a few props.
Sound and/or lighting technician required in-house. No other crew required.
For regional touring we can and have traveled using artist\’s own car within Victoria, or by plane interstate. Ordinary checked luggage allowance is usually sufficient, unless a keyboard cannot be hired locally.
Audience & Marketing Notes
– Of equal appeal to music lovers, comedy fans and drag aficionados
– LGBTQIA+ friendly – Debuted in Midsumma 2022, and Quinn hosted 2022 Midsumma launch livestream
– Staunchly feminist and socially conscious of ageing in community (particularly women)
– MICF audiences 35-50 years, Midsumma audiences 25-40
– Previous regional touring w \’Sunglasses At Night\’ 80s cabaret = audiences 30-60
- A nimble balance of nostalgia and contemporary writing, weaving a compelling story of longevity and resilience
- Enough sass and fun to appeal to cabaret audiences, and belly laughs for comedy lovers
- Original award-winning songwriting and dazzling musicianship
- Huge LGBTIQA+ appeal with bold, brassy, camp AFAB drag influence
- Female-centric story with queer performers and broad appeal
- Great reviews and major comedy award nominations, with a feel-good conclusion
- Workshops in performance making (cabaret and comedy), storytelling, songwriting and confidence speaking and singing
- Piano bar style sing-along informal community gathering
Proscenium Arch Black box Thrust Residency Flat floor Hall
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $6000-8000 + 10% royalty (neg)
Per Performance: $$2,500-4000 plus 10% royalty (neg)