- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
ALICE ANDERSON AND HER ALL-GIRL GARAGE ARE COMING TO TOWN!
Imagine…1920’s Melbourne-the advent of the motorcar! Society reels from the aftermath of war and a second
wave of Spanish flu wreaks havoc on the streets. Theatres buzz with vaudeville hacks and men with an eye for enterprise seize every opportunity to weasel wealth. Meanwhile, one small woman defies convention and makes her mark…
Meet Alice Anderson. Mechanic. Trailblazer. Entrepreneur. Part history, part farce, part who-done-it, Garage Girls shines a light on one remarkable young woman’s short but eventful life. Who was Alice Anderson? Why did she drive her baby Austin all the way to Alice Springs? Who were all those women, dressed in greasy dungarees… and don’t they look a little bit like men? Inspired by actual events and realised for theatre with a healthy dose of magic realism, breathtaking sound design and many colourful characters, played by five actors- Garage Girls is a rollicking ride celebrating a Victorian icon.
Welcome to Miss Anderson’s All Girl Garage!
JILLIAN PEARCE | ARTS, DEVELOPMENT OFFICER, HORSHAM
AYNSLIE WATSON SECRETARY, STRATFORD COURTHOUSE
JO PORTER, REGIONAL ARTS VICTORIA
TBC depending on if you choose to program the radio play version or the full production version.
- PA system (radio play version)
- Audio requirements TBC (full theatrical version)
- Garage Girls can be adapted for different venues – traditional theatre spaces and non-traditional spaces e.g. car museums, old garages. Please contact us for further information.
- Further staging requirements TBC.
- 8 seater people mover (Radio play version)
- TBC (full theatrical production)
Audience & Marketing Notes
Two versions are on offer: a staged radio play (suitable for smaller, non-traditional theatre spaces; art galleries, old garages) OR a full theatrical production, at home in larger performing arts centres.
Target audiences include:
Women in trades: through bringing to life the story of real-life mechanic Alice Anderson, female mechanics and women in trade, will enjoy being represented on stage.
Veteran car clubs.
- Car clubs? Organise a group ticket deal for the veteran car club; encourage audience members to bring an item from their garage to help the actors dress the set: e.g. a wrench, an oil drum!
- Historical society? Invite the local historical buffs and encourage them to mingle with the cast afterwards.
- Book club/CWA members? Read \'A Spanner in the Works\' by Loretta Smith and join us for the live stage show!
Art Space? Old Garage? Car Museum? This unique, compact production is equally at home in conventional art spaces and inspired site specific areas. The staged radio play can fit in any space, any size. Full theatrical production would need no more than 6x8.
80 minutes Minutes
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $11,800.00
Per Performance: $5,200.00