- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
A giant inflatable installation celebrating voices from the frontlines of gender.
Amorphous puppets invite you to enter a winding cavern of interlocking tubes and passages, culminating in the spiral vortex at the centre of the inner ear. A world of soft-edged chambers, geometric forms, and colour-saturated light.
Inside the huge 15-meter Cochlea, gender terrorist OPAL presents immersive interviews with trans, non binary and gender diverse locals.
Cochlea draws on Snuff Puppets’ 30-year legacy of giant public spectacles and presenting giant Human Body Parts as symbols of our shared humanity.
Can be scaled up depending on venue – from natural light to digital mapping/lighting spectacle
All audio/speakers are wireless and included inside installation. Speakers require access to power to change.
Requires a flat floor minimum of 18 x 12 meters, height 6 meters
Depending on venue, extra front of house and security support from presenter may be required.
1 tonne van and people mover
Installation can travel via air freight
Audience & Marketing Notes
Cochlea is a large-scale immersive outdoor spectacle that literally creates a safe space for LGBTQIA+ people and allies of all ages.
Visual art lovers and lovers of inflatable artworks will be able to take their shoes off and step inside to explore a world of soft-edged chambers, geometric forms, and colour-saturated light.
- This is our first-time inviting audiences to step inside a Snuff Puppets creation with us.
- An ideal free public event set in either parks or site-specific indoor spaces, Cochlea is a unique cultural experience that feels like entering a space halfway between a big womb and a small cathedral.
- Snuff Puppets are the most viewed arts org in Australia. We create online social engagement with our live performances that reach millions. We can cross promote with presenters to reach millions across the world.
- Snuff Skool – fun one-day performance workshop. A program open to everyone aged 14 and up.
- Snuff talks - an informal chat with creators Nick Wilson and OPAL.
Proscenium Arch, Thrust, Black Box, Flat Floor, Parks, warehouses, site-specific yards, galleries
Durational up to 5 hours, with roaming puppet performances up to 3 x performances during 5 hour installation Minutes
Available Until (from - to)
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
In Development - work which will be produced and premiered in time for touring during 2022/2023. Please contact the Producer directly for Budgets and Fees.
Weekly Sell Off: $20,270
Per Performance: $10,000 (DISCOUNTING PER ADDED DAY)